Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Stop Macbok Pro from overheating

I'm using Macbook Pro 13'' late 2011 and Mac OSX Mountain Lion v10.8. After I've been using it for over a year, I'm experiencing overheating on keyboard and trackpad. The machine turn too hot quickly may be 1 hour after starting. The CPU temperature is from 80 to 90 degree celsius. There are a lot of causes:
1. Swollen battery
2. Durst and dirty around the trackpad and fan
3. Too hot heat sink

I've reduced the temperature to around 60 degree celsius for normal usage such as web browsing by:
1. Cleaning dust inside my macbook (fan and logic board)
2. Installing smcFanControl application (it lets users increase minimum speed for the built-in fan so i can make my Intel Mac run cooler)
3. Putting display to sleep if the machine has been idled for 10 minutes and computer to sleep after the display has slept for 10 minutes. This is the default configuration though. It also help saving battery life. I configured it in Energy Saver preference.


You may want your computer prompt for password when you wake it up from sleep for more than 1 hour so it's not too annoying to enter password too often and also help secure your computer. You can do it in Security & Privacy preference.


4. Reapplying thermal paste. I didn't do this because I can't find the thermal paste in local stores here. You can apply it in between CPU and heat sink. It helps transfer the heat from CPU to heat sink so CPU doesn't get too hot. Here is how to reapply thermal paste.
5. Drilling holes on the bottom cover under the fan. I didn't do this but a lot of people said it did make their machines much cooler. You might consider buying a new bottom cover and drill holes on it instead of the original one.






No comments:

Post a Comment