Saturday, August 1, 2015

Enabling NTFS Write Support on Mac OS

NTFS file format is recognized by default on Mac OS but you can only read from the NTFS formatted drives; you can't write to the drives. There are free and commercial packages for installing to enable NTFS write support. I chose to use Paragon, the commercial one. Some people downloaded the serial number or cracked version from www.thepiratebay.se. There are some reasons I don't use other packages:

1. Fuse for OS X and NTFS-3G (free)

The problem with this free package is my drive didn't mount sometimes.

2. Texura (commercial)

I tested it with the version 2014. It worked like a charm but there was a problem with Finder. I'm using XFinder to add multiple tab support to native Finder. While I was in dual pane mode showing two tabs in the same Finder window, I couldn't click on my NTFS drive name under Devices list in the left pane of Finder.



3. Paragon (commercial)

I've been using it (v8.0) on Mac OS Mountain Lion v10.8 and no problem at all. My One thing to note about it is it adds two file formats, Windows NT Filesystem (compressed) and Windows NT Filesystem support for you to choose when you want to erase your partition from Disk Utility. But, I couldn't erase my partition using Windows NT Filesystem. Everytime I clicked Erase button, Windows NT Filesystem (compressed) format was selected instead. However, I see no differences between these two file formats. I've read about NTFS (on Wikipedia) and there is only one NTFS, in which you can enable compression on drives, files or folders. Moreover, my NTFS drive once formatted using Texura driver appeared as NTFS (compressed) too when I browsed it in Disk Utility with Paragon driver installed.




No comments:

Post a Comment