Saturday, April 9, 2016

How I backup/clone all drives of my Macbook Pro

I'm running OS X Lion v10.7 on Macbook Pro 13 inch late 2011. I have installed 3 operating systems on it such as Mac OS X Lion, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 15.04. To avoid problems in the future such as disk failure, I have backup my drive as following:

1. Mac OS X Lion is my primary OS and I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the partition to external hard disk drive so I can boot OS X from the external HDD any time to restore the partition.

2. To backup and restore Windows 7, I must do it from within OS X using Winclone app version 4.x.

3. For Ubuntu, I used Clonezilla to backup/restore the partition it was installed on to/from image files. I installed Clonezilla Live on a USB drive so that I can boot into Clonezilla from that USB by not depending on any operating systems. According to Clonezilla's official website, I made the bootable USB on Ubuntu using Tuxboot program. There are 2 methods to make a Clonezilla live USB by Tuxboot, online (downloading) and offline (ISO file). I used the online method in which Tuxboot downloaded the latest Clonezilla live for me and wrote it to my USB drive.

I think I should use only Clonezilla to backup/restore all partitions of my Macbook Pro.


No comments:

Post a Comment